Top 10 moving tips and tricks from a professional organizer
Top 10 Moving Tips and Tricks from a Professional Organizer
- Start early: Begin the moving process well in advance to allow ample time for planning and organizing.
- Declutter before packing: Take the opportunity to purge unnecessary items and donate or sell them before packing.
- Label and categorize: Clearly label each box with its contents and designate specific categories to make unpacking easier.
- Pack an essentials box: Keep a separate box handy with essential items like toiletries, snacks, and important documents for immediate access upon arrival.
- Use proper packing materials: Invest in sturdy boxes, packing paper, bubble wrap, and packing tape to ensure your belongings stay protected during transit.
- Take inventory: Create a detailed inventory list of your belongings to keep track of what you have packed and ensure nothing gets lost.
- Hire professional movers: Consider hiring experienced movers to handle the heavy lifting and transport your belongings safely.
- Notify important parties: Inform utility companies, post office, and relevant institutions about your upcoming move to ensure a smooth transition.
- Change your address: Update your address with relevant authorities and notify friends, family, and important contacts of your new address.
- Plan for pets and plants: Make arrangements for your furry friends and delicate plants to ensure their comfort and safety during the move.Remember, with these top 10 moving tips and tricks from a professional organizer, you can streamline your moving process and make it a stress-free experience.
One of the most important things to plan for is your budget. Moving can be expensive, so you’ll need to make sure you have enough money saved up to cover the costs. Here are some tips from a professional organizer
Make a to-do list.
Making a list before a move is important because it allows you to organize your thoughts and make sure you have everything you need. When you’re packing, it’s helpful to have a list of what items should go in each box. This way, you can avoid going through all your stuff twice. Additionally, making a list helps ensure you remember everything important. Some items that should be on your list include:
- Master Bedclothes: Comforters, blankets, pillows, and bed linens
- Shoes: Your daily footwear and any specialized shoes you may need.
- Bedding: Sheets, pillowcases, and any additional bedding essentials.
- Toiletries: Personal hygiene items such as toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, and towels.
- Non-Perishable Food Items: Dry goods like pasta, rice, canned vegetables, and other non-perishable items from your pantry.
- Utensils: Basic kitchen utensils like cutlery, plates, bowls, and cooking utensils.
- Kids toys: Toys and entertainment items for your children.
Sorting your belongings
When you’re getting ready to move, it’s important to sort your belongings into categories so that you can pack them efficiently. Here are some tips for sorting your belongings:
- Start by sorting your belongings into big categories, such as clothing, Furniture, kitchen items, and so on.
- Then, break down each category into smaller groups. For example, with clothing, you might sort by type of clothing, such as shirts, pants, and dresses.
- Once you have everything sorted, start packing up your belongings using boxes or storage bins.
- Label each box or bin with the contents and the corresponding room in your new home.
- Make sure to pack an essentials box that includes items you’ll need right away, such as toiletries, a change of clothes, and bedding.
Labeling moving boxes can be a daunting task. One of the best ways to make it less daunting is to break the job down into smaller tasks. First, decide what you want to name each box. This can be anything from “bedroom” to “books.” Once you have decided on a name for each box, use a permanent marker to label the outside of the box with its contents.
If you are labeling a lot of boxes, make a list of all the contents for each box as you go. This will help you keep track of what is in each box and where it should go when you unpack.
Packing Tep for security and safety
Packing tape is an essential tool when packing boxes for a move. It is important to use packing tape on all seams of the box in order to ensure that the contents stay secure during transport. Packing tape can also be used to secure flaps on boxes and can be helpful in preventing boxes from being crushed.
- Box Sealing:
Packing tape is primarily used to seal boxes securely. It prevents the contents from falling out, getting damaged, or becoming disorganized during transportation.
You can use packing tape to reinforce the bottoms and seams of cardboard boxes, making them more sturdy and less likely to break open
Packing tape can be written on, which makes it useful for labelling boxes. You can indicate the contents, room destination, and handling instructions directly on the tape.
- Tamper Evidence:
A properly sealed box with packing tape provides tamper evidence. It’s easier to notice if someone has tried to open or access the contents of the box during transit.
- Water Resistance:
Good-quality packing tape is often water-resistant, which helps protect your items from moisture or water damage during the move, especially if there’s rain or humidity.
Properly sealed boxes with packing tape reduce the risk of items falling out and causing accidents during loading, unloading, and transportation.
Tips for Using Packing Tape Securely:
Choose the Right Tape: Invest in high-quality packing tape. Clear or brown packing tape is commonly used and is strong and reliable.
Double Tape the Bottom: When sealing the bottom of boxes, use two strips of tape that overlap in the middle. This adds extra strength and prevents the bottom from giving way.
Apply Evenly: Ensure that you apply the tape evenly and press it firmly onto the surface to create a tight seal.
Use Enough Tape: Don’t skimp on tape. Use enough to seal the box securely without leaving any gaps or weak spots.
Label Clearly: When using tape for labelling, write legibly and include essential information such as box contents, destination room, and any special handling instructions.
Tape Fragile Items: For fragile or delicate items, use packing tape to reinforce the boxes and mark them as “fragile.”
Make sure you have enough boxes, packing paper, and bubble wrap to protect your belongings during the move.
There are a few things that you can do to make packing lighter boxes and heavier boxes easier. For lighter boxes, start by folding clothes instead of rolling them. This will save space and reduce the amount of air that is being forced into the box. You can also use vacuum-sealed packs or bags to compress clothing and other items.
Pack heavier items on the bottom of boxes and lighter items on top. This will help prevent things from shifting during transport.
Take A ‘Room-By-Room’ Approach
Taking a systematic approach is your best bet when it comes to decluttering an entire house. There are a few different ways you could do this, but room-by-room arguably makes the most sense. The time it takes to declutter each room will vary, but setting aside roughly one week per room is a good starting point.
While it may feel like a good idea to tackle the biggest decluttering tasks first, it’s worth bearing in mind that this can be extremely overwhelming. Starting with easier spaces can be far more productive and will boost your motivation, too. ‘A bathroom is usually one of the easiest rooms to start, as there’s less likely to be things of sentimental value in there. It’s easy enough to toss out expired toiletries, medicines and make-up you no longer want; once you’ve done that, you’re halfway there already,’ says life coach Ari Shaffer.
How to handle Furniture
Disassemble large furniture items like beds and tables before moving them. This will make them easier to transport and less likely to be damaged.
When it comes to disassembling Furniture, it can be a bit of a hassle:
- You have to identify all of the screws and bolts that are holding the Furniture together.
- You have to remove them all. After that, you have to figure out how the Furniture is supposed to come apart. Sometimes, there are hidden fasteners that can be difficult to find.
- Once you get the Furniture disassembled, you have to put it back together again.
Get a Professional Movers
Skills and Experience:
PacknShift boasts a team of highly skilled and experienced professionals who have a deep understanding of the intricacies involved in the moving process. Their expertise ensures that your move will be handled with utmost care and skill.
PacknShift offers a wide range of services to meet all your moving needs. Whether you’re moving locally or long-distance, relocating your home or office, or need special services like furniture assembly or storage, they’ve got you covered.
Safety and Security:
Your belongings are precious, and PacknShift prioritizes their safety and security every step of the way. They use the best packing materials and techniques to ensure your items are protected throughout the journey.
Timely and Efficient:
Time is of the essence during a move, and PacknShift understands this. They are known for their punctuality and efficiency, ensuring that your move is completed within the agreed time frame.
PacknShift believes in fair and transparent pricing. You’ll receive a detailed quote that outlines all costs upfront so that you won’t have any surprises on a moving day.
Customer satisfaction is at the heart of PacknShift’s mission. Their team is dedicated to providing a seamless and stress-free moving experience. They listen to your specific requirements and tailor their services to meet your needs.
With in-depth knowledge of Bangladesh, including Dhaka city and its surrounding areas, PacknShift can navigate the local terrain and logistics, ensuring smooth movement, even in densely populated urban areas.
PacknShift uses modern and well-maintained machinery and vehicles to facilitate your move, ensuring the safety of your belongings during transit.
PacknShift is committed to environmental responsibility. They employ environmentally friendly practices and use sustainable packing materials to reduce their carbon footprint.
Numerous satisfied customers have shared their positive experiences with PacknShift. You can find testimonials and reviews that attest to the quality of their services.
Persistence with documents
- Create a checklist of essential documents that you’ll need during and after the move. This may include:
- Identification (e.g., passports, driver’s licenses, birth certificates)
- Medical records and prescriptions
- Insurance policies (health, auto, home, etc.)
- Financial records (bank statements, tax documents, investment portfolios)
- School records (transcripts, enrollment documents)
- Legal documents (marriage certificates, divorce papers, wills, power of attorney)
- Employment records (contracts, resumes)
- Vehicle documents (title, registration, insurance)
- Pet records (veterinary records, microchip information)
In conclusion, these 10 moving tips serve as valuable guidelines to streamline the house-moving process and reduce stress. By starting early, decluttering, labeling boxes, protecting fragile items, and seeking professional help when needed, you can ensure a smoother transition to your new home. Remember to stay organized, communicate effectively, and prioritize safety to make your move a successful and less overwhelming experience.